Two Chimneys history and how we’ve grown
Two Chimneys Caravan Park was originally named Five Acres ( in 5 ½ acres of land ) and consisted of dog kennels and cattery with some camping. As the camping became more popular and the dog barking didn’t agree with the campers, the owners at that time closed the kennels.
In 1982 we purchased the Two Chimneys house with 4½ acres of ground which we opened as a market garden and catered to the campers with free range chicken, duck & goose eggs, salad, vegetables, plants etc.
Eventually we expanded and opened a Nursery and Garden Centre which became very popular with the locals.
In 1984 we purchased the camp site and re-named it Two Chimneys after the main house which features two large ornate chimneys and was a landmark on the local map.
The house was built in 1929 and features large wooden beams from the old Margate Life Boat and in the building of it other materials were used from other historical buildings such as the Margate Pier and the Winter Gardens which was built at about the same time. By then the dog kennels and cattery had been closed but continued as a camp site.
In order to provide better facilities for our campers, expansion work started in 1986 by demolishing and converting old barns to become the bar/shop/reception and pool area. The buildings constructed during this phase are still the heart of the Two Chimneys complex today.
In October 1987 we were hit by the notorious ‘Michael Fish Hurricane’ which destroyed all our greenhouses and tunnels on the Garden Centre. As part of the recovery from the hurricane the decision was made to expand the caravan park even further to utilise the entire 10 acres.
In the years since we have continued to grow Two Chimneys and now cover 100 acres.
In 2015 Two Chimneys was purchased by Park Holiday UK and renamed Birchington Vale Holiday Park.